Time Stands Still

If you have attended some of our Men's Meetings or read some of my blogs or have just been around me when I have been thinking of it, you have probably heard me talk about how disappointed I am in how fast time passes.  I recognize that it is probably something all "aging" people think about.  Unfortunately, I guess I must qualify for that category. 

I am most keenly aware of the topic as my kids hit certain significant milestones.  It is disappointing to me to realize that I can only remember a very small fraction of the time that we have had together.  If someone has lived in your house for 18 years, one should be able to better account for more than the number of moments that I can specifically recall.  With only a few exceptions, it seems that the minutes, hours and years have mostly blurred into a fuzzy lump. 

I experienced something completely different on my recent trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota.  When I am here at home, I get caught up in the mundane and in all of the seemingly important activities that consume our lives and time.  In the BWCA, I was present in almost every minute.  In turn that made me very aware of every minute.  I found that that dynamic, put together with the fact that we could not see the sun most of the trip, caused us to drastically over estimate how fast time was passing.

On the first day, after many hours of paddling, canoeing, and portaging, both my son and I estimated that it was 4 or 4:30 in the afternoon.  It was 1:50.  That happened over and over on the trip.  One morning after sleeping in, fixing breakfast, eating breakfast, cleaning up after breakfast, talking and journaling, we estimated that it might be about time for lunch.  It was 9:30.  I had not experienced this phenomenon since I was a kid.  

I started to realize what really causes us to lose time.  It is busyness.  All of the stuff with which we fill our lives swallows our time or at least our awareness of it.  In addition, many of us spend our time lamenting the past or worrying about the future instead of living in the moment.  Television or surfing the web can do it too. 

I started wondering how I could bring this back to Indy.  How do I force myself to jettison the things from my life that steal my time?  How do I live more in the moment rather than in the past or worrying about the future?  I have started to ask myself, "Why am I doing what I am doing?"  Is there any value in it? 

I really would like your comments here.  What are your thoughts? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ringing the Bell at the Brothel

Tiger Woods is Looking For God

Dying to Self