A Climb and Leap of Faith

A few years ago, as God was starting to wake me out of my slumber, I attended a "Men's Advance" in southern Indiana.  During that weekend, I had an experience that I believe has changed the course of my life.  If you were there and looking on, you would probably not have recognized it as a life changing moment.  To be honest, neither did I.  But, the number of times I have thought back on that event, as well as the number of times I have told the story, illustrates its significance.

One sunny afternoon, many of the men gathered at the base of 3 telephone poles.  Those poles are pictured above.  The shorter pole has climbing pegs that reach to within 4 feet of the top of the pole.  The 2 taller poles have a trapeze-like bar hanging between them.  The goal of this challenge is to climb and stand on the top of the shorter pole and jump to the trapeze on the longer poles.  When I say stand on top of the shorter pole, I am not talking about standing on the pegs.  I am talking about standing on the top of the pole, where it is sawed off!

That Saturday afternoon, I sat on the ground and watched a number of the men attempt this feat.  I had a plethora of excuses I had formed in order to justify my being a spectator and "sitting this one out."  As I sat there, I played out the conversation I would have with my son after the weekend.  I knew, when I told him about the challenge, that the first question out of his mouth would be, "did you try it dad?"  I did not want the answer to that question to be that I did not even try.

As the last man in line failed at his attempt, I pulled off my jacket and reluctantly made my desire to make the attempt known.  As I started climbing the pegs, I decided that I would just keep putting one foot in front of the other regardless of my perceived chances of succeeding with the next step.  After all, I was wearing a safety harness and when I fell, that would be the quickest way down anyway.

I did not feel that I was underestimating my abilities.  I really did not think I could do what was required to succeed.  My belief was not based on false humility, fear or some sort of feeling sorry for myself.  It was just reality.

There were multiple points in the challenge in which I knew the next step was impossible.  But, somehow, just by putting forth the effort to take the step, I managed to succeed.  Until, finally, I was standing on the shorter pole.  The last step was to simply jump to the trapeze.  But, it was too far.  It is no secret that I cannot and never have been able to jump.  But, I launched myself into space anyway.  I caught the trapeze at my wrists and grabbed it as my hands slid down onto the bar.

The closest I have ever come to hearing God's voice in an audible form, came in the next few moments.  As I was being lowered from the trapeze, I realized that I had vastly underestimated my abilities.  I almost did not attempt this because I knew I couldn't do it.

Then came the question!! "Where else are you simply not taking the steps that I am asking you to take because you don't think you can do it?" 

The question was like an arrow that had hit the bull's eye.  I knew, at that moment, that there were many steps I was not taking because I did not feel like I had the ability to do so.

Then the next statement, "Just take the steps that I am asking you to take!  I will be responsible for the outcome!" 


So, now I am learning how to walk!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ringing the Bell at the Brothel

Tiger Woods is Looking For God

Dying to Self