Joy, Where Art Thou?

Psalms 119:1-8

Joyful are people of integrity,
who follow the instructions of the Lord.
Joyful are those who obey his laws
and search for him with all their hearts.

They do not compromise with evil,
and they walk only in his paths.
You have charged us
to keep your commandments carefully.
Oh, that my actions would consistently
reflect your decrees!
Then I will not be ashamed
when I compare my life with your commands.
As I learn your righteous regulations,
I will thank you by living as I should!
I will obey your decrees.
Please don’t give up on me!

Over the past months, I believe God has been working on my heart.  Just a cursory look through my journal would show that work has focused on the truth of His love for me.  So many books, movies, podcasts have focused on that need in my life.  The changes have been gradual, but significant.  As I have stated before, both in my journal and in other forums, if we really knew how much God loves us, it would change everything.  I do mean EVERYTHING!  It would vastly change our relationship with Him.  It would change our relationships with each other.  It would change our daily activities, what we focus on and think about, what we concern ourselves with.  So, there is no minimizing the impact of really knowing God's love.  

In the verses above, I notice another facet.  Our joy is also dependent on our integrity and following God's laws.   This is because God's laws are not arbitrary sanctions of a power hungry despot.  They are principles of natural truths that reflect how to live in the way that God designed us and our world.  "Don't jump off of a 100 foot cliff" is not an arbitrary rule.  It is a protective warning about how to engage the natural law of gravity.  If you don't follow it, you could be harmed or die.  God's laws are like that.  Some are rules to protect us.  Some are rules to protect our relationship with Him and with others.  Some are simply soul, spirit and body maintenance schedules laid out by our designer, the one who know best what needs to happen to keep our lives running smoothly and on all cylinders.  That is why following God's laws bring us joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ringing the Bell at the Brothel

Tiger Woods is Looking For God

Dying to Self